Tikkasin ensin kaikki valkoiset alueet, koska niihin oli tikkaukset mietittynä ja sain tikattua yhtä soittoa kaiken valkoista lankaa vaativan. Aika moneen kertaan työ meni koneessa edestakaisin, mutta siirtäminen on vaivatonta.
Spiraalit ovat heikoin kohtani, vaikka olen niitä harjoitellutkin. Niistä ei vain tahdo tulla säännöllisen pyöreitä kuten haluaisin, mutta ehkä luonteeni on enempi kulmikas... Kiersin ne kertaalleen uudelleenkin, kun jäivät tilaan nähden mielestäni liian pieniksi.
Keltaiset keskusneliöt ovat ne, joita mietin viimeiseen asti, mutta päädyin sitten jättämään ne ilman tikkausta. Ympäröivä tikkaus nostaa ne hauskasti pullolleen, ja halusin säilyttää sen efektin. Tiedä sitten, onko loogista että reikä "pomppaa" ulos seinästä, mutta minun silmääni se sopii.
Alakuvassa näkyy työn reunan ulkopuolella "säätötilkku", joita kertyi useampikin. Niissä kokeilin aina langan kireyden kohdalleen ennen varsinaista tikkaamista. Toki voisi käyttää ihan erillistä testitilkkua, mutta näin reunan ylimääräinen taustakangas ja vanu tulevat hyödynnettyä, ja allekin pääsee kurkkaamaan helposti.
Lisää kuvia laitan, kunhan saan työn viimeisteltyä.
I finished quilting my first one already last Sunday, but left the quilt in the machine for the week, as I was not at home. I wanted to reserve a chance to add some quilting in case I wanted to after having a break. I hesitated mostly with the yellow squares, but yesterday I decided to take the quilt out without quilting them, since I like the effect of them popping out by the surrounding E-L-pattern. I don't know if it is logical for a hole to pop out of the wall, but to my eye it looks nice that way.
First I stitched all the white areas to avoid changing thread. That meant rolling the quilt back and forward several times, but it is easy and quick to do. Round spirals are still my weak point, even after practicing them quit a lot - I guess I'm a more edgy person... I also had to add some echo quilting around them, as they became too small for the space.
E and L chains were also challenging in the beginning, most of all placing them correctly eventhough there were patches and seams to take advantage of. The pace is up to oneself, but you cannot be too slow if you want to have a smooth and flowing result. So there are some uneven forms, missing E's or three L's placed next to each other. I decided not to rip them as this quilt will stay with me - it'll remind me of things always being a bit tricky in the beginning...
Blue areas are stitched with arcs made with the help of a large half circle ruler. I designed the pattern on paper first and made some marks around the blue areas, so each arc was placed correctly. I quilted with a light blue Aurifil thread so I couldn't move around via white ditches but had to start and end at each square. I do start and finish with a couple of short stitches, but I still want to hide the thread ends in the quilt, so it took some time to do that. But I find it easy to do in the machine, so I did it after each square and avoided a huge job of hiding them after the stitching would be finished and the quilt taken out of the machine.
In the sashings I stitched a ribbonlike pattern that I "invented" in my practice sessions. I used painters tape marked with 2 cm increments to get the U's about the same size. In the outer edges I also needed a marking to be able to turn before landing up on the area that will be covered by the binding - I tried without but couldn't just eyeball it. On the quilt side I had the seam allowances ironed to the sashing, so that was a good guideline for navigation.
In the last picture you see a "adjustment patch" beside the edge of the actual quilt. It is a quite practical way to tune the thread tension, it utilizes the extra backing and batting and at the edge makes it easy to check the back as well.
I'll post the whole quilt after I have attached the binding to it.